Monday, February 23, 2009

The "sexy" questions

So it's a little bit of a soapbox and a lot of babble tonight, just so you're prepared...

So we're just getting into what people call the "sexy" cases in Constitutional and Criminal law, both figuratively and literally. We're studying rape in criminal and contraception in constitutional. Now, I should preface con law by saying that I hope my group keeps up what it's been doing and has a drink or two before con law class... the only class we happen to have three times a week.
Now. I don't want to go into a full discourse on these, because I've just done the readings for them and we haven't gone over them in class or in depth, which can be mutually exclusive, as I've found. But the sections about rape make me feel slightly better. Now I know, as a girl, I'm supposed to have the utmost respect for rape laws and protest any rationalizations of the perpetrators. But we all have this vague notion of what we think it is, and after reading the statutes, it becomes clear that what we think might be or might have been, actually isn't. Now, that sounds convoluted, but... eh, what the hell, I'm just talking, I'll move on.
Contraception. The cases I've read, I'm not sure I can fully follow where the court is coming from, (I remember being completely baffled by the concept of the penumbra of liberties the Bill of Rights gives us, supposedly) but I do agree with the outcome. Using birth control is something inherently private, and while the court there specifically refers to the couples engaged in married relations (or, "sexual powers," as the court terms it, like being married gives people supernatural abilities) I think the court, in its penchant for changing it's rulings to fit the changing culture and society in general, would expand this to extra-marital sex as well. Now, this isn't an issue since the rule forbidding even the USE of any kind of birth control was struck down in the case we're studying, but as a chick, I couldn't be happier. As a chick who doesn't want kids at all, I could do a happy dance. The legislature being able to regulate whether or not people use ANY kind of birth control (this term, by the case means, of course, condoms, the pill, any IUD, some... foam stuff... I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it existed at the time of the cases, back in the 70's-ish(I should note I'm doing all of this without my Con law book in front of me. Please forgive any mis-readings)) just gives me this disturbing mental image of CIA agents digging through some couples bed-side table. The court essentially says this is unacceptable, as the Bill of Rights gives us the freedom of life, liberty and property, and the right to due process. They interpret the Constitution as giving us the right to privacy as well, which this law exceedingly violates. This is one issue where my liberal side shines through. Look for more of it when it comes to Roe v. Wade. But that must wait for the next edition.

Oh my gosh!! Meeting the parents!? My old roommate's boyfriend is going to meet her parents next weekend, and they've only been dating, like, a month. Seriously? Ugh. 1) One month is not long enough. I know people do things differently, but you have to go through a few more trials and tribulations before you know if you're strong enough together. 2) I decided a long time ago (sophomore year-ish) that my parents won't meet anyone of mine until there's a ring. It's not that I'd be hiding the guy from them in a bad way, or them from him, I just want my life to be my own, without any pressures or inclinations from forces outside my control. Now, she's dating a guy from my high school class, so maybe I'm a little protective too, but I think I'd feel like this regardless of circumstances.

So I don't like to put those million question polls up, but I have a secret addiction to them. So when I'm real bored I'll do them. So if you have a desire to know a LOT about random little things in my life, go here. Otherwise, proceed with your reading.

I want it to be Friday. I want it to be Saturday. I want to know how the week of Spring Break will go. I want to see the people back in Iowa. But I have to admit, it's a little hard when everyone you want to see doesn't seem to show any enthusiasm whatsoever. I mean, yes, there are exceptions. M, you're the first person I'm going to see when I get there. K, I imagine we'll crash your primping session. K2, I am so grateful to have your couch. P, thanks for changing your schedule to show me around Drake. But the rest? It's just frustrating.

So the quotes today are brought to you by my Civil Procedure book. Yeah, it's actually pretty funny*.
*For about a paragraph. Then it gets boring again.
"Often, the result is a notice filled with legalese, unintelligible to the lay person." [The following are actual responses from people who had received notice they were members of a class suing antibiotics manufacturers for alleged antitrust violations.]
"Dear Mr. Clerk: I have received your notice that I owe you $300 for selling drugs. I have never sold any drugs; but I have sold a little whiskey once in a while."

and... wait for it... my favorite:
"Dear Sir: I received this paper from you. I guess I really don't understand it, but if I have been given one of those drugs, nobody told me why. If it means what I think it does, I have not been with a man in nine years."

No comments: