Saturday, February 14, 2009

2 years stupider, 1 city wiser

You haven't really experienced a city until you see a guy peeing in public... in broad daylight no less. L and I were heading to bailiff at the Mock Trial competition, and across the street from the school, a guy was peeing. Into the street. No like, tree or anything to hide him. Not even a car. I laughed. L was disturbed. Figures.

Our term as bailiff was pretty easy, just keeping time. And they didn't even give us all the stuff bailiffs usually get, like a gun. They said they wouldn't arm us, and I said "It'd have to be an AR-15 anyway, that's the only gun I know how to handle." They replied? "Remind me to stay away from your courtroom."

But for better or for worse, I guess I know how to dress like a lawyer should. As I was leaving the Suffolk County Courthouse, I was told by a guard, "See you tomorrow." I try to pride myself at bucking the crowd, but at least I know I can play the game if I have to. (In my attempt to buck the crowd, ask me what my law office and practice will be like. It's gonna kick all kinds of ass, for me and my clients.)

And then as I was finally getting supper at like 9:30 at night, I think I got hit on by a very drunk Irish guy. He had an accent, that's for sure, but I couldn't really discern what he was saying over the slurring. meh.

It's great that the people I tend to associate with don't have a such a high opinion of themselves. In fact, we tend to refer to ourselves as 'assclowns'. True story. AAAND we tend to make fun of the people who think they're better than others, the pompous art lawyers, the clueless law review guy... Good story on the clueless law review guy actually:
He was on a panel for 1L's, trying to prepare us for semester tests last semester, and when it came to his turn to talk about one of our professors, he had no idea what year we were, or, it seemed, what month it was. The girls will admit, he was cute... until he opened his mouth. He seemed to think we were into our second semester at least and was confused as to why we still had these questions. "So, you guys have taken your midterms, right?" "Um, no. We take them in about 3 weeks." "Oh, well, I'm a 3L and I'm on law review so I can't keep track of things like timing." Gee, thanks a lot fucknugget, but we came to get help, not to hear about your credentials, we couldn't care less. And Ed made a good point about him when we were having Coldstone one day and he walked by the window. "Ya know, he thinks he's all high and mighty, but the Dean told us WE were the most gifted class the school has seen." "Well yeah, but they'll tell that to next years class too..." "But he's a 3L this year. That means he is *two years* stupider than me."


Like I said, we don't think too highly of ourselves, but we'll cut people down if they really do deserve it.

Demetri Martin, you can have my babies anytime... Wait, that's not right either. But I do know someone back home who kind of looks like him, which rocks. Important Things was pretty great. Not as good as his regular standup, but still acceptable. And I get to see him every week. <3 "I think the best place to be in an earthquake would be in bed with someone. and if you timed it right you could seem like the biggest stud in the world. "How was it?" ... "You moved my apartment." "

Ok, I swear I'm trying to ignore all the Valentine's Day crap going down, but I have to put a few words in. Even if I did have a boyfriend going into a Valentine's Day, I would make it VERY clear that I did not want to do anything in commemoration, up to and including refusing to see him on that day. A day should not have that much built up for it. And I will not forget the wonderful Singles Awareness Day ice cream runs we took while I was on Merchant. Maybe that's what'll happen... have a girls night each year instead of pander to the card companies... I like it.

And now it is officially only 2 weeks til Spring Break!!!! Just get me to next Friday with my paper done, and I'm on the downhill slide from there!

No comments: