Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It should feel more like Christmas

It doesn't quite feel like Christmas yet. I guess the fact that I'll be going back to effing Boston in less than two weeks now is always in the back of my mind, and that's putting a damper on things. But I don't want it to. I want to be the crazy, fun chick that had no worries, no regrets from this summer. We'll see.

The trip home happened after a late Thursday night after my last law school exam. Horrid. Drunkenness, wonderful. But, you'll enjoy this list of things, maybe, maybe not.

Reasons contributing to my drunkenness
1. Sober since October.
2. Taking swigs of 99 Blackberries in between nearly every drink of beer for the first two.
3. Adding 99 Blackberries to every mixed drink I got thereafter.
4. 6 beers.
5. Jell-O shots. I don't know how many. I had forgotten about the Jell-O shots.

Reasons I know I was zonked.
1. I thought I knew which train to get on. Unfortunately, Adam had to come running after me to stop me going on the one going the opposite direction.
2. I called several people and spoke in an impeccable Australian accent. I do that when I get drunk and I'm in the right mood.
3. I don't remember showering, though there is no chance I didn't.

Thursday's drunkenness was well earned though. After the barrage of tests all of us that went out and to the parties afterwards were ready to get the memory of them gone.

But I'm finally home after quite a trip. I recounted the whole thing while I was waiting in Atlanta. Observe:

Yay I hate AirTran Airlines. You will see why. I don’t hate the pilots, but the people in charge are really running kind of a sham when you think about it. I have not heard a single flight that I could have gotten on that they were not asking for people to volunteer to give up their seats and take a later flight. So, in other words, even though they aren’t supposed to overbook these flights, they are doing it badly (up to 20 people in one instance) on every single flight.

So the story starts in Boston on the 19.

I get to the airport with plenty of time to try to get on an earlier flight to Atlanta. No such luck. So I’m stuck in the airport, watching the snow start to come down, wondering if my flight will even leave that night. Now, I had already planned on spending the night in an airport somewhere because I knew this storm was coming, but I thought that once I got out of Boston, I’d be ok. More on that later. So the people who were on my flight were watching the time of our flight slowly get delayed, first 15 minutes, then a half hour. The flight before ours was cancelled, and the one before that was already a detour from another airport that had already been snowed in. Basically, these people were coming from West Palm Beach, heading to somewhere in upstate New York. When they were nearly there, they got word that the airport was closed, so they rerouted to Logan, where they were stuck. AirTran wasn’t telling them ANYTHING. What finally happened was they were sent BACK to Palm Beach, where they would try again later.

So we were all on edge, will it go out, won’t it? Finally our plane gets there and we do get on. This is about 6:45 or so. The flight attendants knew we were already on edge, so they tried to make jokes, like when we pulled away from the gate, the lights went out, they told us that the reading lights were above, push them once to turn on the light, the second time would turn off the light, and if we pushed it a third time we would be ejected from the aircraft. Then we get told we would be de-iced and then we could go. The whole process would take about 45 minutes. OK. Fine. Then the fun starts.

The pilot told us that it was taking longer than usual to get the de-icer truck there. Then even longer. Then “I don’t even know how to say this.” Aw crap. They had sent the truck, but no-one to de-ice.

So, let me get this straight. You sent the truck, but not the guy who actually knows how to work the sprayer. No, no, I swear, it makes complete sense to me.

So we get de-iced. Eventually. Then, “I really don’t know what to tell you at this point, folks,” we get told the runways are closed, they would have to plow them and that we would have to get de-iced. Again.

Luckily we had started a kind of camaraderie you only find in situations like this, there were quite a few college kids going out that night. The blonde boy across the aisle stole my heart when he started singing “Always look on the bright side of life,” from Monty Python. All the people around us were pretty cool. And the pilots realized we’re getting antsy so they invite us up to the cockpit to show us what’s going on. It was pretty cool.

So if you can believe it, we did get de-iced again, and we did make it off the ground. Once we were reliably in the air, the entire cabin started clapping and cheering. Amazing. But once we landed in Atlanta at 1:30 am, we had been on that plane for over 6 and a half hours for what was supposed to be a 2 and a half hour flight.

I got a scandalous text and drunken call from this one guy, long story, at 2:30, then actually got to sleep. I’m one that usually CANNOT sleep anywhere other than my own bed, so the fact that I slept close to 6 hours while people filled in the chairs all around me is quite impressive.

Tried to get on the first flight to Moline, but of course they had overbooked that one, so no luck, but I did have a confirmed seat on the second one out at about 3:30. I’m not giving that seat up for any amount of money. I am never flying AirTran again. I should have never cheated on Northwest

Also, realizing I hadn't deleted my googlespam for awhile. I had no idea there was such a pressing need for me to "perform" on Christmas Eve or to make my penis stronger or to show my sweetheart how much I love 'heer.' This is just disturbing. It should not be legal to tout your product as being used by Santa Clause to f*** housewives and their daughters. Although I'm slightly amused, as always. Goodbye spam. At least I don't have to get through the gmail goggles to get rid of them.

Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: