Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Apparently this week is the week for confessions

The property professor felt the need to cross himself before he started class. Brilliant.

It seems as though I'm not the only one who thinks law school has made us a recluse. One of the main topics at lunch today was that we have no life (really) outside of school. We wake up, go to school, go back to the house, shower (most days), sleep, wash, rinse, repeat. The lunch we did was admittedly likely the most social event of our respective weeks. None of us would admit it if the others weren't as well, but we're pretty lonely here. Studying isn't exactly a social activity, and it's so hard to meet up with people even after about 6 at night because we want to make sure we sleep and have travel time. So here it is: as glamorous as law school may sound, it's lonely. Don't know what I'd do without my friends and Iowa to look forward to.

"I want to be Bobrowski. I want to be so good at my job that whatever I do they won't fire me." ~Ed
"I heard he married one of his students."~S
"Yeah, I heard that too!"~C
"How does that even happen?"~S
"**You can come see me at *private* office hours**... If he weren't so old now I could totally see it." ~C
"I can see it, I suppose, although he needs to do something about those eyebrows."~S
"**No, ya see, they tickle!**"~Ed
"Oh my gosh, so, so dirty."~C (and yes, the comment was intended to be fully as dirty as the entire table took it to be)

The lunch
(from which the above quote came from and which was basically a law school bitch rant, so we brought up every other thing wrong with school) also gave completely new meaning to the bumper sticker that says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit in the corner and talk shit about other people with me." So much trash talking going on, good to know we can still act like high-schoolers. Still haven't surpassed the level of drama I experienced earlier this year, but it was fun to talk about bad outfits and professors relationships instead of *twitch* personal jurisdiction *shudder*.

On a completely unrelated note, I was called a brunette (with a little bit of red-head thrown in) for the first time in my life, and this was completely un-prompted. I think it makes me happy. While everyone still seems to be going lighter, I'll go against the crowd (once again). Wow I'm stubborn and obstinate. But you know this. Hopefully you love (or have accepted) this or else why are you still reading?

So Victoria's Secret Fashion Show? So much fun, but so late at night. If only I could actually afford to shop there.

I find it sad that I'm using purposeful availment in determining whether to kick someones ass right now. I did not need THAT. Not now. Not ever. Yay, cryptic girl strikes again!!

I've realized that I should probably factor in my inevitable hangover into my packing expectations for the Friday after finals, huh?

"Let me tell you something I've learned... every day you work for somebody else is a day you work for somebody else."~Bobrowski (wow, do I detect a theme to this post?)

"The mentoring you get in a law firm, particularly a small firm is that the senior partner had a stack of papers on the corner of the desk and he knows it's gonna bite him in the ass one day and one day it falls over and he goes 'damn, I've gotta hire somebody.' So he hires you and you take the stack of papers and you go 'What the hell is this?' Hello mentoring." ~Bobrowski

"We had no idea what was going on, there were skateboarders coming down a hill and a car accident and a baby... I didn't even want to get that exam back, I felt so violated." Random 2L

""Why are guys such idiots?"
"If I could answer that I would NOT be in law school right now. It's either because 1) they think we're done talking and we're not, 2) they think we understand and we DON'T have a clue in the
world what they're trying to say or 3) their head is in their pants.""

Wow this is getting long... but there are even more stories!!

In Civil Procedure our professor asked us to submit questions, and said that we could submit them anonymously if we wanted. Well, he put a note up on the Elmo, one that resembled an old-fashioned ransom note, with the letters cut out of a magazine, ya know. And he said, "This was a bad attempt at an anonymous letter. As much as I appreciate the attempt at anonymity, the person that wrote this note handed it to me. But I will treasure it forever."

"One of my favorite quotes is from A League of their own. You know how they say 'There is no crying in baseball?' There is no crying in Civil Procedure."

"You need injury, duty, breach, and causation comes in two different flavors."

No comments: