Friday, March 6, 2009

Get ready for a mind-fuck

I kind of feel like being INCREDIBLY vague tonight, as I slip past my self-imposed "go to sleep time" quietly.

So, here goes. Iowa. Not bad. Pretty good weather. Great friends. Er, some of them are. The ones that I try to listen to their stories too but inevitably end up obsessing over my current worries. The ones that actually show up and tell you when they're going to see you and, and, yeah...

There is a phenomenon that I will refer to Schrodinger's cat in Iowa as well. You never know until you open the can of worms whether the cat is alive or not. And you have no control over the cat, or the box. But the cat, well, you don't see the cat enough to actually figure out whether it's alive or dead, and sometimes the cat will make gestures towards being alive, but then it keels over and acts like it's dead for weeks at time. So after a while you stop just wondering, and start just being pissed at the cat. It needs to either be doing an Irish Jig or wearing cement shoes in the Charles River. Alive, or dead. Because eventually, the scientist is going to get tired of the cat's games and move on to a more reliable experiment.

Then there's the pothead. The one who started smoking pot just for fun, but lately the drug has been taking up more and more of their time. They start missing classes to toke up and even friends of friends start to worry. An intervention is talked about, but noone will do it because of the fear of repercussions and losing the person permanently.

And finally, the one thing you've finally been talked into and convinced that you have to do. But will probably chicken out in the process of and not complete. A mission that has been assigned to you for nearly four years, yet only in recent months has there been any possible hope or glimmer of a possible success. The plan may play out perfectly, the time that you've waited for and know exactly what to say when will come and go, with no conclusion, and just a "stupid stupid stupid," playing over and over and over in your head, instead of focusing on this new more reliable experiment.

Yay! If you can tell me what those analogies mean, or if you want clarification, you can tell me what you think they mean, but I may not answer. There's a reason they're analogies and not solid facts.

Other highlights of my trip to Ames thus far:
Mandie!
Kelly!
Kimber
Jewels!
Drake Law (If I had to pick between Iowa and Drake, I'm not sure which I'd chose. Drake campus is amazing, but Iowa is such a higher-ranked school. AND I found out I only have to be in the top 25%, since I was a genius mofo and kept my Iowa residency. Drake has it's drawbacks too though....)
Inferiority complex.
Pokage
Driving
Swear words
Being one of the guys again
My boys!!!
Hearing honest opinions/being told the truth
Excitement
Pissed off Japanese minnow Farmer
The Amazing truth potion made of beer, aka: the Gryphonbrau from Olde Main (it got me talking and admitting things I usually would never tell)
Realizing it was the plan that I not sleep with anyone this break


er... yeah. the end. more to come.

No comments: