Monday, April 27, 2009

Finals Trials

I think Erie needs to go off and die in a ditch where rabid badgers would thus devour it. I think it just gave me an aneurysm. Or is that the nagging bit of Con Law at the back of my head? Yep, that's right, thanks to Con Law I also think due process (of any kind) needs to go jump off a cliff. Except for the whole abortion thing. Choice is still good there. Just sayin'.

I really don't want to study for con law. I used to love it. I had my great debates with Tim and Nick and Neal, and I miss that. Now, we hate our professor, hate the class, and hate our lives because of it. During the review she said she "Didn't want to re-teach us" con law right then. Which means that she thinks at some point she taught us something. She is sadly mistaken. Grrrrr! At least that test is first up on Thursday, and I've got a reservation to the Sam Adams open house that night.

Is there any worse feeling in the world than during finals and a message comes up saying, "Word is unable to open this document due to an unknown error. You may try to recover it by praying to the bag of potato chips on the bottom shelf at the 7-11. No, not the one across the street, the one across town. The one you've never been to. Now, once you're done with that. Go to the middle of the Zaikim bridge. There will be a man in a pink Fedora and he will give you the password to a chest that is buried on Lovell island, which you must wait until May to go to, because the ferries conveniently don't run until May. No I don't care that your exam for this class is on May 7, that's not my problem. The chest will contain the code to unlock your lost outline, but it will not be in outline format anymore, just a list of meaningless words and code. Hey, Word said it would get it back, it made no promises on format. To get format you go to City Hall."
FML

I've also noticed that finals had started to reduce my ability and desire to think very complexly outside of studying. My conversations have started going downhill. I think I'm on about an 8-year-old level, with some teen-age girl "likes" thrown in there for good measure.
I saw the phrase "yudu screenprinter" and read it as "Yoda sphincter" until I realized that made sense in no universe.
Wore a Cyclone Alley shirt Saturday, wanted to show some Iowa pride. Walked to school, etc.
Went to Starbucks to get a drink, order, hand the barrista the cash, and she asks, "So are you *from* Iowa?"
I start freaking out in my head, because I'm thinking, "I just handed her cash, there's no way she should know, and even if I gave her my debit card there's no way to tell it's from Iowa..."
Then I remember.
The shirt.
Duh.
I've also apparently gotten even more ignorant to current events than usual. Who's president again? And what's with this swine flu? Is that an actual thing or just a twitter meme?

It also seems like my parents are having retro-active control issues. I was very unworthy of control during the times I actually lived at home, I didn't go out with the bad crowd, I dated the good guys, I got good grades, I followed the rules. So they didn't really have to exert any power, I was never grounded (though that part might have had something to do with the fact I was involved in EVERYTHING and they wouldn't keep me away from school activities). But now they're trying to make me feel bad for having my own life and not staying at home longer. Wake-up call, I have my own friends and my life is no longer there. I'll always call it home-home, but even they admit things get tense after awhile, so they need to stop being so passive-aggressive when I try to make plans to move to Ames. It's pissing me off. I want my Ames life back.

On a happier note, I may go ahead and get some sort of civil (haha, very punny... you'll see why in a minute) union to my civil procedure book.(ba-dum-bum. thank you thank you I'll be here all week)(oh dear lord kill me now! I'm making civ pro jokes. At least property jokes can be sexy! "I'll take *you* by adverse possession!" omg *headdesk*) We're allowed to "annotate" it, which our professor even took the liberty to tell us we can outline in it. So I've taken the last few days to do that. It's really amazing how neat your handwriting can get when your grade and/or life may depend up it. It's gorgeous, and I think I know my stuff, and I'm just going to hold it and love it and cuddle it next Sunday night.

Also, along with stress apparently comes very loverly and vivid dreams. Now if only the events would actually come true. :-) <3

But, it's getting toward bed-time. So far this week I've gotten about 18 hours in studying, and that's only going to grow. I've never studied harder in my life.

No comments: